Ikea Hack: DIY Monogrammed Doormat

I have a wonderful Ikea hack to share with you today!  I know you love monograms as much as I do, so you are going to want to jump in your car and drive to Ikea as soon as you read this post.  Tell the kids to find their shoes right now, because you and I both know it is going to take them a while.

Oh, and eat some meatballs for me while you’re there.  I kid, I kid.  But I do recommend the $1 frozen yogurt at the snack bar by the exit.  It’s how I bribe my kids to walk 47 miles through the maze that is Ikea.

1.)   Treat yo’self to this naked $4.99 Ikea doormat

SINDAL Door mat IKEA Easy to keep clean - just vacuum or shake the rug. Latex backing keeps the mat firmly in place.

Ikea SINDAL doormat

2.)  Jump on your computer and create a very large letter (your last name, not mine) using Word.  The font I liked for my letter is Mongolian Baiti 800 point.

3.)  Print your letter on cardstock (heavy weight paper) and try it on the mat for size.

4.)  Optional step here: if you want to create a true monogram, do the same thing for letters of your first and middle name (for all the single ladies) or your husband and your first names.  Check out the monogram etiquette instructions here, because getting your monogram in correct order is a matter if eternal significance, is it not?  I used the same font, just a smaller 375 point for size.

5.)  Cut out those letters!

6.)  Trace your letters onto the doormat using a sharpie marker.  It isn’t going to be perfect, but make it dark enough for you to see the letter outlines.

7.)   Using a craft brush, start filling in the outlines.  I used acrylic craft paint, but if you are more responsible and your crafts are less spur of the moment than mine, outdoor paint would probably be ideal.  I don’t have the patience (or the desire) for ideal, so I used what I had.

Monogram completeAnd here it is!  I am really pleased with how it turned out!

Notice the empty pot?  Yeah, I live with boys.  The cute little plant in that pot was brutally attacked by a football the other day.  This is my life, people.

Front doorIf you enjoyed this project, I would love to have you join my blogging BFF list of email followers!  Just pop your email address in the space at the top right of the page and you will receive posts from this abundant life right in your inbox.

Don’t forget to pin!

Monogrammed door mat using Ikea SINDAL doormat

This week I am linking up with:

Savvy Southern Style

Oh! THAT DIY Party at diyshowoff.com

Funky_Junk's_Party_Junk_link_party_150Idea Box Link Party

By Stephanie Lynn

• this abundant life says:

Maybe just the first letter of your last name? Having only 2 names does put you in a bit of a monogram quandary, doesn’t it? Someone earlier also suggested putting a cute greeting on the mat. Love that idea too! Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to comment! I am glad you enjoyed the project!

1. gracieed says:

What a great project. I need to make one for our doorstep and maybe one for the back porch as well ;-). This would make a wonderful gift for a new home owner or newlyweds. Thanks so much for showing us.

• this abundant life says:

I too was thinking this would be a great housewarming gift! I think I may actually make some up for the teachers’ end of the year gifts too! Inexpensive and personalized!

2. kristen says:

I would love to know where you got the little welcome sign? Was this a previous project? And I love the rug too! 🙂

• this abundant life says:

Kristen, that was indeed another little project I did quite some time ago. It was an ugly little shelf that I bought at a thrift store. I removed the hardware, painted it and add the vinyl welcome, which is something I ordered off one of those daily deal sites. I intend to hang it above the door…someday! 😉 Thanks so much for reading!

3. Sharon Compton says:

Love this project! Can’t wait to get a mat. I also love your pot holder. Where on earth did you find it?

• this abundant life says:

Sharon, I rescued it out of a neighbor’s garbage! Hahaha! The truth comes out now! 😉 Glad you liked the project! Thanks so much for reading!

• this abundant life says:

Thanks so much, Stephanie! It was such an easy and affordable project and I am thrilled with the impact it makes. Thanks for reading! 🙂

4. Adventures of Mel says:

Love this; it looks great! And I totally get the plant meets football scenario… I’m just waiting for the boys (or pets) to get to my plant in our entry way. Fingers crossed it stays put. Thank you for sharing at Inspire Me Wednesday. Featuring you in next week’s issue.

• this abundant life says:

Mel, I guess we need need to just embrace our life with boys right now. I know they will soon grow up and be gone and people tell me I will miss it. The jury is still out on that one! Haha! 😉 Thanks so much for featuring me next week!!! I am so thrilled! 🙂 Thanks for reading!

5. Julie@frugallyblonde.com says:

This is so great! Our nearest Ikea is over two hours away, but we love to do a day trip once every couple of months. Those meatballs are amazing, I just have to stop myself from buying everything because it’s such a great price. I can’t wait to try this out.

• this abundant life says:

Julie, I have the same problem when I go the Ikea near us! I end up coming home with the most random assortment of items, all of which were too good of a deal to pass up. 🙂 I would love to see a picture of your finished project! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and thanks for reading!

6. thevillagepot says:

I just can’t wait to have my home and be able to do all I want to do. I’ve been in school all my life and I’ve enjoyed it but it comes to an end soon and I can move on to the next phase.
    This was so well done. It looks great!

• this abundant life says:

Thanks so much for your kind comments! This would be a great project for you once you get out of school…easy on the budget and big impact! Happy to hear you enjoyed it and thanks for reading! 🙂

• this abundant life says:

Julie, I didn’t. Our step is under cover so it doesn’t get very wet. If your mat is vulnerable to the weather, you may want to think of spraying it with some sort of weather proofing spray. I actually may end up doing that with mine just to be on the safe side. Thanks for reading!

• this abundant life says:

Thanks, Maggie! It was such an easy project with big impact. I would love to see a picture when you get yours finished!

Share a thought or two? I would love to hear from you!